|R E S O R T H I S T O R Y
Salt Baths ("Görgénysóakna" until
1938) is a health resort with ancient traditions founded around 1800
(in the same time with Sovata Spa), highly valued due to the existing
water and high-quality mud. At 6-km east of Reghin, Jabenita is the
first village, situated on the approximately 1,5-km breadth valley of
Gurghiu River, a tributary of Mures River. In the north, east and south,
hills and mountains surround the village. From a geological point of
view, the fundamental rock is the salt anticline, which can even be
found near the surface. This fact explains the high NaCl concentration
in the lake and fountain water from Jabenita.
The village is situated on the right side of the river, on a terrace
affected by land sliding. In the north extremity had existed lakes and
swamps of different size. The lake no.4 or "the lake made of swamps"
is the biggest and it is formed in a Roman salt mine. Following this
road towards the village, at about 400 meters, one can find the Lake
from the Baths. It is rectangular, almost parallel to the road, at about
30 meters distance from it and at 5 meters level difference. The lake
is 31 meters length, 32 meters breadth, 14 meters deep and about 1000
square meters. The access road is asphalted. At 50 meters from the lake
flows Gurghiu River, rich in trout, an ideal place for fishing.
lake is a real attraction for both the tourists and the nearby inhabitants.
The modernization of the lake made it more accessible either for resting
or for curing diseases, such as: chronic rheumatism, gout, arthritis,
neuralgia, sciatica, rickets, scrofula, and female diseases.
Morphological aspect: Jabenita village is situated longitudinally
among Piculeu hills (525 meters) at north- west, Sinioara hill (754,8
meters) at north- north- east, Orsova hill at south- east, and Mociar
hills at south. The village is situated in the major riverbed on the
right of Gurghiu River, with a medium height of 398 meters. The natives
who had participated to the arrangement of the lake in order to make
a swimming pool said that the lake was 70 meters deep. This depth seems
to have been diminished during the war because of the residues thrown
into the lake. The wooden bottom filled with water, silt and residues
The lake had formed into an open salt mine worked by the Romans. Even
though vertically the formations are compound of gravel, grey sedimentary
salt rocks, and salt, the upper level of the lake consists in the previous
mentioned rocks, as the gravel and rock layer (along the lake's length)
with 1,091- 5,207 meters breadth had been removed when opening the salt
mine. The land at the west and south of the lake is well leveled and
extended. It has 25500 square meters with extension possibilities towards
east with another 24000 square meters. It has the aspect of a park,
slightly shaded by oaks, firtrees, chestnut trees, and acacias.